AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-till into tilled...JD750
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 10/16/2006 17:23 (#52035 - in reply to #51987)
Subject: Works as others have said - but

central - east central Minnesota -
As others have said, it works, but requires some readjustments from the No-tilling mode. What I don't like about it, as mentioned, is the gauge wheels throw dirt. Why, I'd guess speed is the biggest factor. I hate drilling into tilled ground as it is too "loose" and I have to slow down way to much. I normally no-till at between 7.5 to 8 miles hr in level fields of bean stubble. In corn stubble the speed is 6.5 -7.5 mph (depending on heaviness of the corn stalks). When I get into tilled dirt - usually have to drop back to 4.5-5 mph to do a decent job. Take into consideration, this is in loamy sandy gound. In lumpy clay I can make a little better time but not like no-tilling. I do custom work, and I find I have to charge more for tilled ground then no-tilled ground due to the speed and not being able to get acres - at the end of the day can't cover as many acres. If I had a DD drill, and didn't need the money, I'd keep the DD drill for the loose dirt drilling and keep the 750 for no-tilling. That's my opinion - for what it's worth.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)