AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Light Tillage questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 10/16/2006 18:51 (#52064 - in reply to #52040)
Subject: RE: Light Tillage questions

Macon, IL
I am in the same situation-but Central, IL. I have a 160hp tractor. I have a 22ft disk with 7.5" spacing that does a good job. 160hp plays with it. Remember disking does create compaction-so I really do it as little as possible. But I have waterways that seem to "Grow" every year and gulleys on some hillsides that I occasionally need to manage and that works well. The first year I got the farm I had to level it and used the disk. When I do have to do tillage I do it all in the spring-personal opinion but I think that is a lot better for the soil structure. And with smaller acreage time I have time in the spring.

I also have an 18ft field cultivator-but have never used it, but I know there are some years when disking just doesn't work in the spring and I got it at an auction for $300 or so--cheap insurance if I need it. You can buy an older 20ft disk in decent shape for around $1,000 if you look a while. That 490 is really a nice one, may cost you a little more but shouldn't break the bank.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)