AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-till into tilled...JD750
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

iseedit
Posted 10/16/2006 20:47 (#52103 - in reply to #52072)
Subject: Drilling / planting speed . . .

central - east central Minnesota -
Not sure why 4.5 mph would do different or better / worse job of seed placement then 7.5 - 8 mph. It's a drill, and with bean meters it sigulates the seed out and then it bounces all the way down the tube and around the seed trench. As long as it stays in the soil. Slow or fast - seed still bounces down the tube. This is a drill - drills do not singulate seeds. Beans and small grains do not respond to singulation as corn does for the final yeild. So from a speed concern it doesn't make a difference on yeilds. Speed does matter on wear and tear of the compants of the drill. If you go slower, I'd be willing to bet your componants will last longer then my parts will. I have to rebuild my blades and boots this fall/winter - 9700 acres. My primary seed bed planted into was soybean stubble and wheat stubble, very little corn stubble untill this last spring when I picked up a bunch of custom work. In the corn stubble the seed spaceing was pretty much the same as the bean and wheat stubble even though there was more bouce to the openers. I did slow it down to ensure I had the seed in the gound and not bounching out to the surface. This has been debated before many times - kind of like the post 'bout fall bean tillage. To each it's own - what ever speed you are comfortable driveing / drilling good luck to you.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)