AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fertilizerguy- pH levels?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Chad H
Posted 10/17/2006 09:17 (#52388 - in reply to #52277)
Subject: RE: Thought you had a feedlot at your disposal?

NE SD

Rich,

Yes, we do, and we have done some of that, the problem becomes that a majority of these spots are anywhere from 6-10 miles away from said lots, so until we round up a dump trailer, or build our own spreader truck, it is very inefficient for us to do. What we did last year on a particularly bad spot right by the farm was we spread dry manure on said spots approx. 6" thick and let it settle for a couple weeks. Next step was to use the chisel plow to mix said soil/manure and break up top 6" or so. Finally, I came in with a zone builder and ripped the spot with the ripper as deep in the ground as it would go...I believe somewhere in the 22" range. It's a good thing I used an inline rather than a v-ripper otherwise we wouldn't have touched this ground until the middle of June this spring.

Net result, well, it's hard to say because we chopped the field for silage. The problem we had was there was still so much manure mixed in with the topsoil last spring the spot crusted over and the corn didn't come up like it should have. What corn did come up(somewhere between half and two thirds) looked a lot better in relation to the rest of the field than it has in years past. Time will tell.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)