AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fire suppression systems for combines.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Franz©
Posted 10/20/2006 12:45 (#53722 - in reply to #53538)
Subject: RE: Fire suppression QUESTIONS

Ok, I've already admitted I'm flat stupid when it comes to combines, so if you guys will enlighten me a bit, I may be able to come up with some intelligent information.

It seems to me, a combine fire would normally occurr in a high air flow area of the machine, and if that's the case, fire supression becomes way more complecated. I've already contacted my bud in the business of developing systems to supress fires aboard cargo airplanes, and his initial assessment was putting out a fire in an operating combine would be like trying to put out an engine fire without being able to turn the fuel off.

There are a number of different options that may well be cheap and easy to use, but the number drops quickly if the fire area can't be confined. We already seem to have concluded the fuel in a combine fire can't be removed, so stopping the fire will become either a matter of air removal or heat removal.

Any Halon system seems to be a poor choice due to expense and volume required, as well as the constant Government regulation of Halon, and what I believe may be an inability to confine the fire area.

Foam may be viable, if the fire area can be isolated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)