AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

CIH 490 or 496 Disc?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 10/20/2006 16:05 (#53751 - in reply to #53715)
Subject: You called it perfectly...........

Speed is dictated by gang angle, blade spacing, diameter and soil conditions. You are very right about going too fast. Around this are we call anything with 7.5" and 9" spacings a "finish disk". If I try to use our 9" spaced 496 as a "cutting" disk and go too fast, it will ridge to beat all he...........k. I figure if my outside front blade throws soil further than my furrow filler blade, I'm asking for trouble. First time over in firm moist soil is 4.5mph to 5 tops. Second time the soil releases from the blade sooner and I can pickup another gear to about 5.5 to 6 max.

Something else I learned the hard way is the 496, 9" is made for 22" blades. No bigger. 24"s will fit, but not work.

I use the collar type depth stops to keep the center from going deeper. It is heavier and narrower than the wings. If the center section is allowed to creep deeper, it will angle the wings upward at the outside tips. Our soils dont have much for rocks, so I removed the stock leveling spring and screw. I slotted the floating type clevis hitch to allow some movement there if need be.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)