AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

opinion on JD IVT
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Hank, in Or
Posted 10/21/2006 11:20 (#53931)
Subject: opinion on JD IVT

Bonanza, Or
After running a 7920 with a IVT for 450 hrsI thought I would share my opinion of the IVT. As with all tractors there are some applications where they shine and some where they fail. Here are my thoughts in the following uses.

Light tillage, drilling ect where the engine runs about 1500 RPM at 5 to 6 MPH it burns around 5.5 GPH and is very smooth.

Heavy tillage, you either have to turn the IVT RPM way up to keep the engine smooth or turn off the IVT and when you are putting the spurs to her it will burn about 10 GPH. I would much prefer a powershift for heavy tillage. I would bet that an 8000 series with a powershift would burn less fuel.

3x4 baler, cats meow on this one because you can run exactly the speed you want. My only complaint here is that it is not the smoothest when you come to a pivot track and you pull the speed lever back at the PTO RPM and the baler strokes at the same time, the tractor will jump and you will swear you have hit the speed control forward.

Transport, yes this thing will run like a scalded dog and doesn't burn much fuel doing it at 1200 RPM. I do very little transport since all my ground is in a 2 mile radius so this option doesn't mean much to me. I can see where a inexperienced operator could get into big trouble running as fast as it will go.

With this tractor you have to have either a lighter load on it or exactly the right sized implement for it to be fuel efficent. Here is an example, if you put an implement on it that is just big enough to make the IVT throttle up to 1800- 1900 RPM it will burn alot of fuel for what it is doing but will pull a bigger implement at the same RPM and not burn more fuel.

Would I buy another IVT? Not for a heavy tillage tractor but yes for a medium use tractor and yes for a loader tractor.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)