AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Case IH 1644 won't move...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 10/22/2006 00:58 (#54063 - in reply to #54059)
Subject: Re: Case IH 1644 won't move...

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
last summer I replaced the hydro pump and coupler in my 1480. The salvage yard driver hub on the used hydro pump was in like new condition,but I wanted the new one with the grease fitting as long as we were doing the job. The dealer had a new one with the grease fitting but was almost $400. We noticed that the lube fitting passage in the new hub,dumped the grease in the end of the hub beyond the pump shaft ,instead of directly into the splines,so we thought it wouldn't be any great trick to drill that passage in an old style hub. We headed back to the salvage yard to look at that old but perfect hub and told the owner who is also a machinest what we were trying to do. We looked at that hub and could see obvious signs of heat treating,but tried to center punch the spot where that grease hole had to go,the punch flattned without marking the hub. We tried marking it with a file and hacksaw which would skate over the surface without marking the hub. Our mutual decision was to put that old hub back on the shelf and put the new $400 one in the combine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)