AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IVT fuel consumption -- Nebraska tractor tests
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

GLS
Posted 10/24/2006 18:24 (#54817 - in reply to #54793)
Subject: RE: Yes, no, maybe

Oklahoma
That is a very good point, but many things can be done to achieve the efficiencies necessary to push out the mechanical drive. The advantage of an IVT or CVT over a mechanical drive is the ability to match engine load with power needs without grinding gears or pulsing loads onto the engine. The advantage of an IVT over a CVT is it's ability to reduce speed without restriction. A CVT is usually much more simple and less expensive than an IVT, but insofar as efficiencies, it is more a game of how you set them up. The CVT belt systems I have seen perform get about a max 85% througput, whereas I have personally seen 82% off a hydrostatic IVT (a so-so hydrostat will give you at least 75%, but I have heard of Italian setups capable of 92%), and have seen a concept for a fully mechanical cam-based IVT that, though extemely complicated, would achieve the 98% level we see in gear meshes.

You're right, many concepts do exist (I've also saw a neat "impact/vibratory" style for a go cart), but I was simply trying to explain to the previous poster how one works.

gls
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)