AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

To hexx with Ford
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 10/29/2006 12:03 (#56189 - in reply to #56178)
Subject: Re: To hexx with Ford

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
The axle lock on my 92 chevy K35 appears to just unlock ONE axle from the differential side gear. This would mean that the other axle with all spider and side gears are turning all the time. I don't know how this setup lubricates all those spinning gears when that one front axle is unlocked,without the ring/pinion turning there is nothing to splash oil on them ? Maybe they don't get oiled much,as every two years I change the front diff oil and it always comes out looking like aluminum paint from all the metal in it.
Now my 2000 Dakota with that IFS setup has NO provision for any sort of an axle unlock device,so all 4wd parts turn all the time,all you can do is disconnect power at the transfer case when in 2 wd. Might be like the old GM division chief that said to a young engineer"Young man,parts not installed cost nothing and give no trouble" I am sure turning that front axle all the time costs a tiny bit of fuel economy,altho I wonder how much with the thin synthetic lube they run in the axles now.
Anyone remember the old Warn "lockomatic" hubs that were standard on my 74 IH 3/4 ton ? They would disconnect everything inboard of the hubs when the transfer case was in 2 wd. They had a roller clutch that locked as soon as an axle shaft turned and unlocked when the axle was no longer powered(transfer case in 2 wd) When the hub selector was moved to "lock" a dog clutch locked hub to axle for very heavy work(low range,hard surface) to avoid splitting the roller clutch. This was well before the day of shift on the fly transfer cases,but was no problem to get it in 4 wd with the hubs set on automatic. When running on mud/snow/ice at speed and saw a need for 4 wd coming at you, you just hammer down on the brakes to lock up the drive line,pull the transfer case into 4 wd ,release the brakes and get back on the power in 4 wd. took only a split second and worked fine without crunching transfer case gears.
I have been told that stuff like full time 4 wd,pushbutton transfer case actuators and hubs were introduced for the women drivers in the pickup market. I suppose you can add to that what Arnold the Governator calls girly men.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)