AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ray.. how is harvest for you going?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 11/6/2006 16:16 (#58587 - in reply to #58458)
Subject: finished Thursday night

We ran hard last week trying to get done, long range forecast called for showers by the end of the week and it was already too wet to get around without causing some damage. Finished Thursday, went to help a friend finish Friday, Charlie and a part time farm boy who helps when he's not in college took the last two loads to town for the neighbor and then hopped across the river and picked up sbm and both trucks hauled meal Saturday on a special deal. Just can't stand to let them sit still.

Corn was pretty decent for as dry as the summer was, but the beans were really hurt, especially the first that we planted that were late 3's. The later the planting, and the longer the maturity the better they were because they managed to hold on until we got some moisture in early Sept.

Ran beans with a heavy frost on them a couple mornings, never had done that before, always figured they would be wet or tough. While the frost was on they were great, got a little tough when the frost melted for a couple hours, but then they were back to normal. We were really pushing to get done before it might get wetter and the most important reason of all was I wanted to be done and have everything parked in the shed before we headed to Manhattan (also know as Huggieville now) for a ball game. First time in 21 years that I've had season bball tickets out there. Really looking forward to watching some fun games this winter.

I'm sure there are areas where bigger combines can be used, but for this area we are fast approaching the size that will be limited by how much you can get into the machine. We have a 9660 and last year on some good beans we were running 5.9 mph with a 30' head and the yield monitor was showing in the upper 50's. I wish we had gone to a 35' head when we got this one, but at the time there were two local people with 35's that had been giving them trouble.

Coming up on my favorite time of the year hs and college bball season. Life gets simpler now, need to keep the trucks running, help out Charlie moving dirt when he asks and watch basketball. Just gotta work on finding someone to share it with right now.

Hope all is ok up north, keep the door shut, we don't need any cooler weather, this is just fine right now.

Ray
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)