AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Got some questions on grain testing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

billybob
Posted 11/8/2006 22:15 (#59414 - in reply to #59385)
Subject: RE: Got some questions on grain testing

This is what happens when I take in a load of grain.

Pull on the scale with my truck.

A 6 ft long tube is pushed into the load of grain by machine or by hand.

The tube opens up and lets in grain. The grain is vacuumed into the office. It lands in a machine that test the moisture of the grain and it also fills a cup of a spec dimension. The grain is weighed in the cup. This weight tells them how heavy the grain would be per sq. ft. of grain in a bin, truck, or rail car. That is the test weight. The standard test weight for corn is 56 # per bu. If the test weight get to low, like maybe 53 or 54 then there is a dockage. My corn this harvest had a T.W. of approx. 59 to 60 #.

My elevator only take one sample per load, be it 500 bu. or 1000 bu.

Every grain has a different test weight. Corn. 56# Soybeans 60#. Wheat 56# Oats 32#(I think). Meaning it take 56 # of corn to = 1 bu.

They run the test in seconds right at the elevator. If it is above a certain moisture level, say 15% for corn, they will put that grain in a bin so it can be dried. Corn 15% or dryer goes into a different bin. Ready for shipping. Dryer corn will keep better and longer.

If the grain is wet there is a drying charge. Something like 2 to 6 cents per point of moisture above 15%, for corn.

There is also a shrinkage charge of 1.2% to 1.5% per point for grain over 15%.

So there are 2 charges. One for drying. One for shrinkage.

Shrinkage- when grain is moved through the dryer some grain is lost as dust or what ever. The elevator will not take this loss. The person delivering must take the loss. It is like a handling loss.

Enjoy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)