AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip Till - C ILL - Pictures from today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/12/2006 13:14 (#60768 - in reply to #60435)
Subject: Re: Strip Till - C ILL - Fall-Spring, NH3 (pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Most customers starting off with our Pluribus start out with old habits and experience of "got to get it done in the fall".  After a year or two of experience, if they can get that far, they often find that strip till in corn just works better in the spring in many locations, especially  C IL, C IA and east.  

Customers have adapted the system to their own local needs. For example in high yielding, non-baled wheat straw in cold climates it is helpful to make strips in the fall. That black strip warms and dries much faster in the spring. 

To answer your question the customers pictured above have found it fits their system more to do most bean stubble in the fall and most corn stalks in the spring. However they in fact did some corn on corn strips just the other day. Spring Pluribus strips in corn stalks make just gorgeous places to plant. Fall made strips in heavy just-harvested tough stalks just don't look as pretty in the spring. Fall made strips in bean stubble look a lot better in the spring. I'll attach some photos.

One of the unique things about our design is that you CAN run it in the spring, maybe an hour ahead of the planter if that is what you need. When you stick a knife behind it you lose that flexibility along with other factors. Generally, in my experience, you do not want to plant directly over a spring made knife slot, basket or no basket.

Really what it often comes down to is the Pluribus design gives you the flexibility to run it fall or spring.

About high pressure NH3 - I wish it was as simple as the post above shows. Unless my physics is failing me, regardless of how high a pressure or what type of nozzle you use, when that liquid stream hits atmospheric pressure as it leaves the nozzle it turns to a gas. Gases don't pierce harder soils very well. The gas may disperse and attach to soils in looser (NW) or worked ground but I haven't seen the "injection" idea work very well in a no-till environment. The high pressure systems do a good job of equal distribution to each row but as far as injection I don't think injection is the answer in our situation. We have a different concept which should work well with existing NH3 heat exchanger type systems OR the high pressure systems with little to no leakage in a fall application area.

Unfortunately we don't have the manpower to pursue all of our ideas, as well as manure application, at the same time.

About fall vs spring strip till with the Pluribus, to summarize, fall made strips in bean stubble look pretty good in the spring. Spring made strips in corn look very good in the spring.  I'll attach a photo of what fall made Pluribus strips in bean stubble look like in the spring (SD) and a photo of what spring made strips in corn stalks (corn on corn) look like in the spring (IA) & (ND) + a picture of what kind of stand you can get with spring strips in corn on corn even in ND.

Thanks for the kind words above.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/12/2006 13:25

(Dawn Strip Till Spring appearance of Fall made strips in SD Bean stubble_0370 cutoff 3-31-05.jpg)

(Dawn Striptill Corn on Corn E IA 5-8-05 hp095 first corn emerges.jpg)

(Dawn Strip till ND full fertilizer 042606 img2146 rear trees 640x480.jpg)

(Dawn Strip till ND full fertilizer stand 061806 img100-0426 rear trees.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dawn Strip Till Spring appearance of Fall made strips in SD Bean stubble_0370 cutoff 3-31-05.jpg (70KB - 252 downloads)
Attachments Dawn Striptill Corn on Corn E IA 5-8-05 hp095 first corn emerges.jpg (87KB - 232 downloads)
Attachments Dawn Strip till ND full fertilizer 042606 img2146 rear trees 640x480.jpg (72KB - 229 downloads)
Attachments Dawn Strip till ND full fertilizer stand 061806 img100-0426 rear trees.JPG (92KB - 225 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)