AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip Till - C ILL - Pictures from today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/12/2006 18:57 (#60876 - in reply to #60868)
Subject: Re: Strip Till - C ILL - spring/Fall & Fall corn revised

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Rick,

In the spring there are two ways to go for strip till:

One is if there is a period when the ground is reasonably fit, say in mid to late March, but it is too early to plant you could use that time to make strips and maybe put down your N .

Second method and probably more common is to have the strip till rig and the planter maybe an hour or two (or a day or two) apart at planting time. It is amazing how fast that aerated strip grays off! It depends on your overall operation and location. Each customer finds his best way of using the Pluribus.

I have no experience with intellicoat seed. I don't see where it is needed and I would be VERY concerned that because of various reasons, not every seed would germinate at the same time, making slight differences in pollination and yield, but this just a guess and concern. Thanks for your reply.

Added later:  I have been in the garden today  - in wet heavy soils - thinking about fall vs spring strip till in corn stalks.  In most northern areas with heavy corn residue and likely mud in the spring, probably the ideal way to use the Pluribus is to run it in the fall either with P & K & little or no N or no fertilizer at all and then run it again over the same strips in the spring to dress them up and possibly put down all or most of your N.

Most times I suggest this to a customer it seems like I get the reply "well that's two trips, I want to do it in one". That is understandable. But two trips, one fall + one spring, may be the ideal in northern climates (north of I 90) in heavy corn residue. Second choice is one trip in the spring. jmho. Lots of options.    

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 11/12/2006 21:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)