AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How bad will it be to pick up 1,000 small bales?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 6/26/2017 14:57 (#6091102 - in reply to #6090352)
Subject: RE: How bad will it be to pick up 1,000 small bales?

south east Indiana
I will chime in - spend a few days every summer picking up bales off the ground, stacking them in a pickup bed diving them to the barn, unloading and stacking in the loft. We only had a couple horses to feed so way less than 1000 but there were 75 lb bales. Stacking in the loft is the worst since it is hot with no breeze. I actually kinda liked getting the bales out of the field but I was lots younger then. Would not do it now :)

It is hard work no way around it. I always wore long sleeves because the hay would scratch and cut my arms and leather gloves. The upper body strength to lift bales up very far is tough for women. I could lift them to a hay wagon or pickup truck without a problem. Could not throw them up once they got stacked a ways so I would be the one that stacked which takes talent - balance and skill to stack well. Pollen allergies or dust allergies could be a problem also.

Anything with dead critters baled into the bale, set off to the side :) Always bale snakes and bunnies

Actually for the physical labor needed not sure if she will feel it is worth it for the money. If done with machines then maybe
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)