AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ideas for a 3 point mounted striptill bar running Dawn units
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 11/13/2006 12:16 (#61111 - in reply to #61107)
Subject: RE: ideas for a 3 point mounted striptill bar running Dawn units

Aberdeen MS
I'm currently running a 25' mounted Dawn unit (CaseIH 183 cultivator bar with Case 800 lift assists and markers). One does need lift assists on the back of the bar tho. With my 25 footer (10 X 30), the weight of the units alone is 5500#. Add to that the weight of the bar and one can easily hit 7000# quite easily.

The biggest draw back other than the weight is the clearance between the units when mounted on a straight bar. Corn trash tends to hang up, sometimes quite easily, resulting in a pretty good sized "muskrat" pile before you realize it. It is somewhat difficult to catch till too late being that close behind the tractor. With RTK and autosteer, one can keep a closer eye behind tho. With only 575 acres for myself, the precision equipment prices itself out of the market.

I'm way over powered with a 2590 Case in front, but I could use a bigger power unit strictly for the weight issue, front wheel assist would be a big benefit I would think. But it does allow me to shift up/throttle back giving better fuel economy. Last spring I used .41 gal/ac stripping. Some are reporting .3

At the strip till demo days the U of MN put on this summer, one of Jim's customers lent a 12 row Vision bar setup with I believe a 7120 Case 2 WD (I'm not up on which 7XXX series is which in FWA and 2 WD.. sorry). I believe Jim mentioned it was around a 120 HP give or take. It handled it power wise without any trouble. I would venture a guess pulling a cart.... 150 - 175 depending on HP requirements for the fan. But again, bigger the better for the weight on a mounted bar.

I'll try to attach a pic of my setup in the field for your enjoyment.

(MVC-002S.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MVC-002S.JPG (60KB - 164 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)