AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ideas for hay shed...little squares
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hedge tree
Posted 11/13/2006 14:39 (#61151)
Subject: Ideas for hay shed...little squares

Central Kansas
I know there are a number of hay producers on this site, most likely all quite a bit bigger operations than mine, but you might have started a little smaller at one time.

Problem: I have a 40 x 60 open one end and one side hay shed with 16' side walls and on the open side, a 20' x 60' lean-to with the outside edge 12' high....one end closed. I need more storage for little squares (14 x 18's) to augment this shed. Current one is 12 y.o. and all steel....pretty costly now. I don't want to get a bunch of money tied up in a shed, just need some covered storage. I am thinking one about the same size and set up with the lean-to open both ends so I can drive through it and park gooseneck with hay, etc. I am leaning toward a wood frame structure based on cost but am open to your ideas. I don't use a bale wagon....put all in the shed with a tractor loader, 8 bales per clamp. My JD 725 and JD 158 loaders max out at 11 bales high.

So...what is your thinking? Leave both ends open (our rain is from the South and SW generally, winter stuff from North and NW) so I can stack from both ends? Leave it all open? Close one side and one end like my old shed? I would like to invest in your experience and suggestions when I build this shed. Here in Central Ks....round bales are the most prominent with mid-sized and large squares generally tarped prior to sale.

On my way to Albuquerque last month I saw a number of large hay sheds in eastern Colo that seem to be shed-roof types open to the east with large, wide bays. Are they a special purpose building or just the way they make hay sheds out that way? Your ideas and experience would be appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)