AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ideas for hay shed...little squares
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 11/13/2006 16:32 (#61177 - in reply to #61151)
Subject: RE: Ideas for hay shed...little squares

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
The cheapest storage you can get is to go taller. If there is a way you can stack higher, than the same size (sq ft) building will hold a lot more. Longer poles are cheap compared to more rafter, roofing etc. Maybe a high lift loader would gain you more storage in your existing building and more in a new, taller shed? Don't know just thinking.

What we have around here are mostly roof only buildings. Not the best as far as keeping all of the hay perfect, as a little rain and snow will blow in on the S and W sides here. But for the dairy and really most markets, a little weathering on the outside is okay. We don't get much precip all winter, however, so usually the big thing is just making sure the bottoms stay good. Is it important to your market to keep the sides well protected? For a small retail market it might be worth it to have full sides, at least on a side or two where most of your weather comes from. I looked into putting a 24' wide lean to on the side of a 45x132'barn I have by the house, as well as a 22' tall (the eve height) sidewall on the other side. It would have been just about the same as building another whole barn, that would hold about twice as much. For what we have been doing lately, another roof only barn would pay much better than making the existing one 'perfect'. I'll see if I can get the boss to snap a picture of what I have here so you know what I'm yammering about.

Barns sure as hell have gone up in the last few years. Those hoop buildings are cheap enough that it seems like a good idea until we have a good windy day. If it isn't that windy in your area that might work. I think if I put one up here it would be gone and my hay would be outside the first good windstorm that came along.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)