AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

no-till vs. conventional
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dan_wcIN
Posted 11/14/2006 20:05 (#61595 - in reply to #61263)
Subject: RE: One thing I've noticed this fall. WET.

It made a Crop
Only tillage on our farm 5 years has been Mole knifes. Tye drill and CaseIH 900 row units. 9 years prior to that was A Bush Hog Ro-till ahead of planter. A strip machine before strip till had a name.

Now what I have noticed. Our soil has structure. At least I'll assuming that is what is keeping me from cutting ruts, even when shelling through same areas of standing water. To top 1 or 2 was slimy today and the combine back wheel would slide around some. But no ruts. tires just squished the slim out to the side.

I thing that really made me notice the difference was then I was shelling next to a neighbor's field. (they were shelling there field the same day) Right up next to the fence on their side they had cut ruts down 6-8 inches. I was says right on top. They run a 9560 STS NO tank topper w/ 30.5 tires I run a 1660 w/30.5s we both have 6-30 corn head. So weight of machines is about the same.

I think we have some yield lag with no-till. Just not sure the extra tillage trips are worth the extra return.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)