AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bill Moyer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bill Moyer
Posted 11/15/2006 09:19 (#61813 - in reply to #61555)
Subject: RE: Bill Moyer

Coldwater, Michigan
Paul,

Sorry I didn't get you answered last night. I was getting my granddaughter baptised. Her father works saturday, sunday, mondays, so priest said "how bought tuesday evening"? It brought back alot of memories. Diane brought out the photo alblum of when the baby's mother was baptised 26 years ago. A good time was had by all!

Now, to you question: I would almost suspect the product comes from Agro Culture Liquid company in St John's, Michigan. I think you will find it is a decent quality product. Usually when the nitrogen content is that high, they get it by using urea to get there. That causes a safety issue with seed contact, particularly in "lighter soils". That is the problem with most of the 9-18-9, 8-19-3 type products.

This is a place you could easily take care of your Zinc needs, but a poor place to take care of your sulfur needs. A little bit of sulfur goes an extremely long way in the seed trench! A liitle isn't bad, a little more can be a real issue. Only testing by a company will tell them for sure. Sulfur is great when included with the nitrogen product.

A safe starter "should be of low salt content". A safe starter "should not contain Urea". That one is straight out of the University handbook. I think that is 1/2 the reason NaChurs 6-24-6 usually outperforms their 9-18-9 as a seed placed starter on corn. Most companies look only at salt content, and figure they have a safe product. Urea content can still get you, as a grower, in trouble.

The following picture was taken on the "Monitor Sugar" research farm near Richville, Michigan a few years ago. The difference you see is the diffference between two seed placed products. The bad looking one had a "urea based" starter applied in unfavorable planting conditions.

I should state" the hybrid used was the same in both cases. The difference is that the one had a different starter formulation, and it was planted a couple minutes later.

Edited by Bill Moyer 11/15/2006 09:41

(DSC00225INT.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSC00225INT.jpg (34KB - 218 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)