AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do you believe this?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jcs
Posted 11/15/2006 17:44 (#61952 - in reply to #61918)
Subject: Re: Do you believe this?

Oklahoma
I have been through that part of MO and it is amazing. From everything I have read about the these record yields whether believable or not, whether cheated or not, whatever they did had a seed company involved and wasn't practical from an economic standpoint.

Do I think soybean yields can hit that mark...maybe. Two years ago I grew some beans in a loamy clay bottom. Tried my hand at estimating yields about two weeks before harvest. Used a method I found here and took random plants from several points, counted pods, counted seeds, weighted seeds and estimated moisture. In one corner, counted over 120 pods per plant on 3 plants with each pod having 3 beans. Figured it up that night and that corner was estimated at 102 bu. and other side of the field (shallow clay) came in at about 34. You could see differences but I thought the numbers were way off so threw the notes away. Two weeks later hired custom cutter to cut. No yield monitor but he said they were the best beans he ever cut in that corner, Average on the field was 70 bu/ac. (bu. sold). That summer we had perfect rains and temps for central OK, rained a little every week or two and never broke 98 for a high. We got lucky. The next summer the same field averaged 15 but we did that on essentially no rain and lots of over 100 temps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)