AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No Tillers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

martin
Posted 11/15/2006 23:02 (#62110 - in reply to #62029)
Subject: RE: No Tillers?

Ken, I hope you don't mind, but I would like to interject in here.....
1) re: lime. You just apply it on top. Many guys try to get in done in the fall - it seems the soils are in better shape (less chance of creating ruts in the fall). The comment I would make is: you apply lime in no-till the same you would to a permanent hay field. You can't incorporate, so you don't. Quite frankly, I've never encountered a problem doing it this way.
2) What kinds of soils do you have that you are having trouble getting no-till to work in? If you know the soil name, I would be interested in hearing it.
3) Just a comment about Kingbaby's farm... when he harvested corn silage, he follows with a fall rye or wheat silage crop, so he is growing a crop year-round. I suspect many guys do not do that. And I think that would help with getting rainfall into the soil. Just a thought.

I would also like to say that I believe if you have a cover crop growing, you are less likely to track a field up when it is slightly wet, compared to a field that is bare. Answer this question for me...... for a guy who spreads manure daily (say a small-time dairy farmer), where is he likely to go when the fields are wet? The answer typically is: a hay field, especially a grass field, where the root mass will help support the manure spreading equipment. A cover crop can act in the same way if you get it planted soon enough to have some topgrowth and root mass.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)