AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No Tillers?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 11/17/2006 08:14 (#62629 - in reply to #62626)
Subject: RE: Are you sure?

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
I agree with kooiker. This year the ground was dry and fluffy. Got an excellent job incorporating the manure . You could not smell anything coming off those fields. Last year we were VERY wet after about 12 inchs of rain. The manure went on wet fields and did not get covered very well . I could smell those fields yet when i was deer hunting 3 weeks later. There had to be some N loss if you can smell the ammonia
We still ended up with 180 to 200 bu corn but @4000 gals an acre the test showed 280 lbs applied.
This year we cut back to 2500 gals and spread more acres. Last year I did not want to take the chance being incoporation was very poor. Again after application then it would not rain and did not rain for a month.
Again regardless if the research says it OK, I don't want pissed off neighbors complaining of the smell. I will incorporate or try to incorporate as best as possible considering the situation.
As far as no-till goes. Not feasible in our cold wet webster soils. Been there done that, went back to tillage.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)