AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Telephone Dial up modem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

claascombine
Posted 2/26/2018 20:42 (#6607253 - in reply to #6606112)
Subject: RE: Telephone Dial up modem

North Central In.

Thanks for this detailed information, I understand most of what you are saying about wires, I am somewhat familiar with 110v wiring you loose when distance increases, our Internet Service Provider is aprox. 30 miles from us but they service a lot of people in our area, probably # one provider of dial up service, I know they have substations around area, I assume this will make a difference & that's how we can be so far away from them and still get service. We actually have 2 computers 1 at home which is only 2 miles from substation, it was working really good until we had a computer place upgrade browser to Foxfire, it works but is slower than before. Our other computer at shop is on same phone company Line, but the line comes in from other direction, I ask a telephone technician one day why it does not work as well, and he said we are at the end of that line which is close to 5 miles away from substation at a nearby town, This is probably why it has always been slow because it is so far away 5 miles, Probably a dumb question, would a higher speed modem help this situation, if so what do I need to look for in a modem, all I know is ours is a 56K V.92 modem which tells me very little.

Thanks For helping explain this problem and maybe you can shed some more light on it, I am a very good mechanic, but when it comes to computer I need help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)