AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Telephone Dial up modem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Alexander I Waverly
Posted 2/27/2018 12:23 (#6608389 - in reply to #6607253)
Subject: RE: Telephone Dial up modem

Nomenclature and slang can pop up unintentionally in a conversation. Now, having said that, take 5 miles (as the crow flies) as an example. To make a circuit "work", (inductive reactance verse capacitive reactiance - resonate) would require that cable pair (dial tone) to be loaded at 4 different points. LP1, 3k feet - LP2, 6k feet (total 9k feet) and 6 k feet between each of the remaining coils. I have forgotten the distance allowed from the last coil to the premise (excuse:retired 18 years and swore to forget everything I knew about that company) Load coils are designed for 400 to 2700 hertz, the human voice. The higher the baud rate, the wider the bandwidth. DSL's work at this level and way above. CATV and cellphones are a different mode. De-loading a cable pair would make transmission worse..it's the law of physics. How does some things work beyond the distance used in this example? Telco's have added different carrier systems - most likely fiber - for the purposes of growth. The result is almost like moving their Offices closer to the customer. But the expense is enormous. Or people are using cells which is a form of radio. Now you know. I wish there was something I could do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)