AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

desktop or laptop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Steve
Posted 3/9/2018 18:19 (#6631654 - in reply to #6631642)
Subject: RE: desktop or laptop

dpilot83 - 3/9/2018 18:11

I used to be the biggest proponent of a laptop that is compatible with a docking station. Good laptops are plenty powerful enough to do anything a farmer would want done.

I no longer feel that way though. When my laptop motherboard went bad recently I looked for a replacement. Satisfactory desktop replacement laptops are just so darned expensive.

My solution was to buy a new motherboard off eBay for $30 or so and replace my broken one with it.

I suppose in another couple of years I will buy a new high end laptop but if I knew I would never need it in the field, I would just build another desktop.

I will say this. When you buy a desktop it's possible to get committed to the same cycle with desktops as you get with laptops. Meaning proprietary cases, motherboard designs, etc that prevent you from upgrading down the road.

If I were to buy a desktop I would make sure whatever I buy is something I would expect to be able to replace the motherboard on 5-7 years from now. If the motherboard/case on the desktop you buy is a proprietary form factor you'll have to start all over in a few years rather than just upgrade.

Personally I would rather just upgrade. 5-7 years is a long time in computer years
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)