AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another Cafe topic - Your Favorite BBQ Restaurant, Cafe, Joint, Kafe, Kitchen, whatever. .
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 3/31/2009 21:34 (#664172 - in reply to #663063)
Subject: BBQ;Big Shoes, Cafe:Chilton's, Joint:Moonshine Store

West Union, Illinois

You see, in this neck of the woods those all mean just a little different.  When you talk about a favorite BBQ place Big Shoes in Terre Haute is the first that comes to mind. (http://www.bigshoesbarbeque.com/)

As for a cafe, Chilton's Cafe in West Union, IL is hard to beat ... although it is more restaurant than cafe.  You know the recurring theme from Cheers ... "where everybody knows your name"  ?  That's the kind of place Chilton's is.  Just remember, they have more seating than parking...and pie, lot's of pie. 

Joint isn't exactly a good description of the Moonshine Store (http://www.themoonshinestore.com/), but then again Moonshine kind of defies description.  It is square in the middle of nowhere, 10 - 15 miles from anyplace.  An old country store that serves hamburgers...lots of hamburgers.  How many?  Here is a quote from the web site because you wouldn't believe me if I told you.

Thank you to all our Geocaching Friends, Motorcycle Friends and all of our Friends for helping us set a new record of 858 sandwiches on Labor Day weekend 8/30/08

858 served in one day ... and they stop taking orders at 12:30 and close at 1:00.  PERIOD.  Oh, but don't take my word for it.  Read a story about ir from no more trusted source than our own Illinois John at http://www.agriculture.com/ag/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/ag/... I'm told the health department lady came down one time.  She was met at the door by some locals who told her to go back to town and if they needed her they would call.

There are other places.  The McKinley's feed store in Merom, Indiana, the little restaurant in the middle of Carlisle, Indiana (sorry, the name escapes me right now), ... is the Village Pump still in Brocton, IL?

I've been trying to think of the name of the restaurant in downtown Mt Horeb, WI ... that will bug me until I find it.  And the place in Johnson City Tennessee with the funny tables...

OH! and last but Far from least is Wilkey's in Belle Rive, Illinois.  Belle Rive is just down the road from Opdyke, a nice trip through the country from Spring GardenInnocent (OK, between Mt Vernon and Carmi, Illinois).  Once or twice a year we'd load up and take a 2 1/2 hour drive to Belle Rive so Dad could eat at Wilkey's.  It's kind of like going to Moonshine.  Half the fun is just saying you went there.

edit  Hmmm .... how did I get the type all messed up?  Let's see if I can fix it

Edited by Mike SE IL 3/31/2009 21:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)