AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Migraine headaches
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

farmgal
Posted 4/6/2009 23:08 (#671774 - in reply to #666436)
Subject: RE: Migraine headaches

Nebraska

Don,

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter suffering. I know exactly where she is b/c I have suffered with Migraines for 18 yrs. Every year I end up in the hospital with uncontrollable vomiting d/t migraines. The pain is soo horrible that if a drill was handy, I would probably drill a hole in my head to relieve the pressure. Sounds severe, but everyone I have known with migraines will tell you the same thing.

I have also been to different doctors all over. I ended up with Dr. Kirshner....Kirshner Headache Clinic in Omaha, NE. He is wonderful and he helped develop Imitrix. Although Imatrix never worked for me....he will work closely with you to find something that does. Has she kept track of her eating and cycles during a month?

Depending on the type of migraines your daughter gets would be the suggested action to take. For example....If she is sensitive to smells. I would strongly recommend Singulair. It is used for allergies, but decreases your sense of smell significantly. Dr. Kirshner prescribed this and Toprol XL for me...Yes. I do have very low blood pressure, and this didn't make it go lower. But we monitored it closely.

If your daughter gets migraines b/c of her mentrual cycle. Which is very common. Have her avoid chocolate and cheeses starting a week before her cycle begins. And exercise!!!

It always helps to take medicine right away at the onset...She should treat every headache like a migraine so they don't get out of control.

I personally use Relpax...my dr. also prescribed Treximent for me to try, but don't be fooled by this new medicine.(drug company had to come out with a new drug to charge high dollar for since imitrex is going generic) Treximent IS imitrex and Naproxen combined....and it's a lot cheaper to get those two meds as generic!!!!!!

If she suffers nausea with her migraines, ask the dr. for Zofran..This med is awesome and helps a bunch.

Birth control pills can trigger migraines too.

Make sure she is not letting the doctors give her any narcotics...this will for certain cause rebound migraines. When I end up in the hospital I get a shot of torredol and phenregen.

I hope some of this helps......let me know if you find anything more helpful out there!!! I wish her all the best.

Edited by farmgal 4/7/2009 01:06
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)