AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Farm Consolidation. Trends and endpoints.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

rebuilder
Posted 4/14/2009 13:42 (#680113 - in reply to #679928)
Subject: Re: Farm Consolidation. Trends and endpoints.

Bourbon,Indiana

Yeah,I agree with that. There are a few operations around here where you see the planter roll in then the combine, with those even run by the hired hands. The rest of the time its the coop or consultants putting the heels to the ground. Never see the "farmer". I will agree some outsourcing needs to be done, but I'm still the primary "boots on the ground" guy. I am sure I could call on the phone and have everything done, but that would make me management, not farmer.

I worry about how huge operations will affect our rural communities. It will be easy for the money to pass most small towns by with mega operations. At some point I wonder how this will play out. I would guess there would be a consolidation of rural communities that congregate at the "money/job" spots, i.e. river/rail/grain/fert terminals

I also agree with your assessment, that, with my heels on the same soil my ancestors homesteaded in the mid-1800's, with the goal to pass it on to my kids(hopefully), makes this a "family farm".

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)