AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Land Rental Ethics-How do you guys add acres?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

beh
Posted 4/16/2009 15:40 (#682653 - in reply to #682125)
Subject: Re: Land Rental Ethics-How do you guys add acres?

Heil Harvesting, Ulysses KS/Limon CO
Kevin--

Very well spelled out.

It is a fine line. All people have a different view of ethics. We are our own individuals. We were all raised different. In walking the fine line, it is important to look at it objectively. The definition of aggressive is different from person to person.

In the interest of expansion it is necessary to get your name out there. Get it out there in a serious and positive manner. Strong verbage, confidence and considerate action is necessary. Asking around, asking to rent ground, asking to have the next shot is neccesary. Being upfront and transparent with your landlords, your prospective land lords and your neighbors.

I prefer to be assertive when it comes to land and customer acquisition. Communication is key. With current landlords and prospective landlords. Ask to have the next shot, then keep it fresh in their mind. Keep them thinking about you. Not pestering them to rent you the ground, rather building a relationship with them. The latter will serve your cause both now and later. If you have the opportunity to be the tenant, you already have a relationship. That will serve you well. If you don''t rent the ground, they may know someone or something. It may present you with further opportunities. Not what you know, who you know.

Be transparent with your neighbors, your friends, your competition. Make them aware that you are looking to acquire land. If you are told by someone, contacted by someone about one of their landlords. They may be looking to change tenant. Be up front with the neighbor, friend or competition. Fairly investigate. Be open about your dealings. In business dealings I will tell my competition, my friends that I may lose this. Privately of course. Tell them to contact them, start building the relationship. I may or may not lose it, but I would rather see a friend or less established operator have the opportunity at it than some one I do not know or have had negative dealings with. In business, ex customers are an amazing resource. They really like you as a person but the business ideals did not line up. So be it. If a personal relationship is maintained, they may be a great resource. If they are your friend, they want to see you succeed whether they work with you or not. They will make an effort to see you succeed. Again--not what you know, who you know.

As communicated in email with several, I do not abide by nearly everything I said in the ILLFF argument. No where close. 7150 made a great assessment, I was stuck on the otherside of the argument. Rumors, rumors spread as fact, speculation spread as fact, generalizations and associations as evidence don't fly with me. Especially with anonymity. Period. Don't identify a source or even yourself and verbally attack a group or business--I have the attackees back, no matter what the argument is. No matter what I think of the entity or person being attacked. I know nothing of ILLFF beyond what I read here and on their website--I do know there seem to be lots of rumors being spread and no one substantiates them. Until they are substantiated, they are untrue. It bites me from time to time, but I want to assume good in everyone. I am sure in some eyes, I am less of person now. I can live with that. I feel that I did the right thing, I may not excercize the thoughts are articulated, but I still feel I had the right side. I can sleep at night.

Have a great Wednesday--hope the weather cooperates with whatever you have going on so we can all prosper.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)