AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trash Along Road-What is wrong with people?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

tigger
Posted 4/17/2009 12:09 (#683635 - in reply to #683569)
Subject: RE: Trash Along Road-What is wrong with people?

Iowa

-Funny you should mention that.  Last night while passing by one of the farms my way home I saw a large Bud Light box that probably held a case of beer.  It is not unusual to see beer cans tossed along the road.  I think it is mostly kids and drunks taking the back way home and throwing their empties in the ditch.  They would not want to get caught with the empties in their vehicles. 

Anyway, this large Bud Light box was about half full of Playboy magazines.  I did not want it in my road ditch, so I picked it up and brought it home.  At that point, I was in the position of having something potentially embarassing in my posession.  I'm somewhat paranoid about that sort of thing, always wearing clean underwear and the like.  My next move was to put the box in the burn pile (yes, we still have open burning here).  I normally use a propane torch to get the burn pile started because it is so much more effective than matches or a cigarette lighter.  I tried and tried, but those Playboy magazines would not burn.  I could get them to flame up a little, but the flames would die as soon as I pulled the torch away.  Not having a lot of time, I threw some other stuff on top of it and walked away without a good plan to get out of this situation.  I'll try burning again when I get enough other stuff to make a bigger and hotter fire.  A few oil products could also be useful.  Otherwise, burial or composting could be slower alternatives.

Are these magazines made with some sort of flame retardant paper or did they absorb the flame retardant chemicals from someone's matress?  I don't want to think about it much beyond that.  Yikes!   

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)