AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

15% Ethanol
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

paul the original
Posted 4/20/2009 00:35 (#686449 - in reply to #685695)
Subject: Re: 15% Ethanol

southern MN
Still don't get the 'bad deal' part? A few ethanol plants were built in a rush, in bad locations, with too much big money thrown at them, and well duh they are having problems.

Another group of plants got themselves caught by buying up another group and didn't have enough capital left to properly deal with the goofy corn market of last year & bought corn high & not price-covered, had to sell ethanol low - and went bk. About 1/3 of those plants are already back in operation & running. Major error by management, not a problem with ethanol.

That is not normal business of most ethanol plants, which are operating just fine, and have been. Times are tough, demand of liquid fuels is down, corn prices have done historic things and oil prices have tanked - any industry is going to have hiccups on that sort of deal, but yet the ethanol plants that have been well managed in the past seem to be dealing with it well. Most of those within 75 miles of me have gone through major expansions, and with the heavy costs of expansion & modernising their processes still are operating well.

A new one is to come on-line in May about 45 miles from me, sounds like they are good to go.

Ethanol (E10) has been in use since the 1980's around here, it's not an issue any more. Seems a lot of other states were comfortable with the MTBE, and now are having trouble getting on board with ethanol instead.

B2 - 2% biodiesel was started here almost 2 years ago, and like the early days with ethanol, you hear all sorts of hardships or problems. But, in short time, it all works fine & no one really notices. It just is. And it just works. Yawn.

Your comments seem to be coming from ignorance on this issue?

I'm just not understanding.

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)