AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cloud Education?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 7/8/2019 18:24 (#7603841 - in reply to #7603438)
Subject: RE: Cloud Education?

jonas grumby - 7/8/2019 12:29

What would be the best way for a 58 yo farmer with a basic level of computer knowledge to educate himself on using cloud storage? I want to cut down on my paper. I store stuff on my computer but am lax on backing stuff up. If using the cloud is easier and a better way to back things up vs a USB drive storage device I would go that route. I guess I am also leery of someone getting access to my information no matter how secure "they" say the cloud is. Is there a Cloud For Dummies or similar?

Your common cloud options are:

1. DropBox

2. Google Drive

3. OneDrive

4. iCloud

They all have pros and cons. If you are a spreadsheet guy you should probably use whatever cloud service the spreadsheet company you prefer provides. For example, if you like Microsoft Excel then you should probably use Microsoft OneDrive. If you like Google sheets you should probably use Google Drive. If you like Apple Numbers you should probably use iCloud. This is because if you ever get to where you want two people to have access to the same spreadsheet, if services are synced like that it’s less likely to get conflicted files. If you’re using an Excel spreadsheet that is stored on DropBox, your changes won’t sync with DropBox until you have closed out of the spreadsheet. If you forget to do so and someone else opens the same spreadsheet off of DropBox before you remember, then there will be two versions of the same file on your different computers.

However, if you are using Excel with OneDrive, you can both edit the same spreadsheet simultaneously (assuming you are both using Office 365) and no conflicted copies will be created.

I don’t have a lot of experience with Google Drive or iCloud. I will say that I am transitioning from using DropBox to using OneDrive so I can have simultaneous users of Excel spreadsheets but I find OneDrive to be strange. Sometimes it is hard to make certain files (photos in my experience) sync. DropBox is easier to deal with for me but OneDrive multi-user simultaneous access on office documents makes it worth it to me.

If I were to guess, I would expect Google or Apple to combine the best of both but I’m too deep into Microsoft to want to take them very seriously.

Edited by dpilot83 7/8/2019 18:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)