AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

iPad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/28/2019 05:53 (#7873168 - in reply to #7860979)
Subject: RE: iPad

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
sparrell - 11/21/2019 21:29

Case4 - 11/17/2019 19:35

I would like to buy an ipad and use it around the farm. It will be used to run 20/20 in the planter tractor. How many gb do I need and do I need one with cell service or can I get by with just wifi enabled?

If you have an iPhone, couldn’t one just get a WiFi iPad and link it via hotspot to your phone?

I have had an iPad Pro for a couple of years. I had the same question about how much memory. There were several options. I decided to go about half way up the various sizes and then noticed that getting the largest amount wasn't really that much more money. I went with the max which may be 128. In my use this wasn't really necessary but I do have it. I have my entire music collection on it which hardly put a dent in my storage capacity.

Mine has cellular capability but I decided to drop the cellular portion of my data plan to save a few bucks each month because I usually am within range of WiFi when I use the iPad for Internet things. The other reason for dropping the cellular was that the GF's iPad was on the plan also and she would run over the data allowed since she "must play her games" even when WiFi is not available. Dropping cellular from three devices to only the phone reduced the monthly bill and even increased the amount of data on the phone.

I mentioned to the Tech at the Verizon store that I could just setup my iPhone as a hotspot if I really wanted to use the iPad on the internet when I was not in range of WiFi. He told me not to do it because "I would wear out the iPhone" due to the extra stress and strain. I just laughed and said "I'll take that chance".

So far I haven't had the need to use the iPad on the internet away from WiFi so I haven't tried the hotspot arrangement.

I use mine with Ag Leader's AgFiniti app to communicate with the InCommand 1200's I have in three rigs. I do not have the license so no internet connection is involved. The InCommands are setup as Access Points which allow them to communicate back/forth wirelessly with the iPad on what I think of as a "batch basis". This means that when I finish an operation in a field such as planting, spraying, harvesting etc. the data can be transferred to AgFiniti on the iPad. For example right now I can use the App on the iPad to view this information and maps without needing to look at the InCommand or SMS on the office computer.

My iPad can print wirelessly to the printer in my home office. That means I can get paper copies of the variety, spray, yield etc maps without using the office computer or other software. I do not use SMS although I could. If I want to make some detailed analysis then SMS may get involved.

Just noticed a Black Friday Ad from Walmart for a 32Gb WiFi only iPad. This might not be suitable for your situation.

Edited by tedbear 11/28/2019 06:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

• iPad - Case4 : 11/17/2019 19:35

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)