AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

question UniFi Dream Machine
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

md.mcwill
Posted 12/6/2019 12:54 (#7890898 - in reply to #7890710)
Subject: RE: question UniFi Dream Machine

I have gigabit FIOS from Verizon. That means 950 Mb down and ~900 Mb up from the router to Verizon. Google wifi gave me 786 Mb down and 950 Mb up. These numbers are from Verizon speedtest website from a few minutes before I submitted this to NAT. Not bad speeds. Really never have a slowdown especially after the last google wifi update and updating to new smart phones a month ago.

Fiber to the house, then ethernet from the box in the garage to the WAN port on FIOS Quantum Gateway (FIOS G1100). There is probably 15-20' of ethernet wire from the box to the router. I do not have TV or phone from Verizon in the house. These are pretty good numbers.

This router is ~4 years old. From the installation manual. Support for multiple networking standards, including–WAN – Gigabit Ethernet and MoCA 2.0 interfaces–LAN – 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Gigabit Ethernet and MoCA 2.0 interfaces• Integrated wired networking with 4-port Ethernet switch and Coax (MoCA). I don't use the Verizon router wifi. I have turned that off and plugged the google wifi into one of the ports on the router. I got 3 hockey pucks with the google wifi. I can spread those out around the house to get to all of the basement of the house. The Verizon router wifi did not get to the farthest part of the basement.

I am not using the MoCA coax interface because I do not have TV in the house.

What I want to do is change out this Verizon router for this Unifi Dream Machine. The Unifi has a WAN port. I think that I can just go into the router and let go of the signal. Then just take the WAN cable from the Verizon router to the Unifi router WAN port.

I just want to make sure that the Unifi can act as my WAN router to Verizon. This router lets a person do all kinds of things like create Vlans, etc.

Thanks for any help.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)