AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thinking of switching to Apple
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Nor-C-Ore-Drylander
Posted 12/11/2019 03:39 (#7899937 - in reply to #7898902)
Subject: RE: Thinking of switching to Apple

North Central Oregon
I would not purchase any Mac mini or any Mac for that matter earlier than the Late 2012 versions.
The 2011 and earlier can not support the latest 2 Mac operating systems.
The late 2012 minis also have USB 3.0 and upgraded Bluetooth 4.0 as well as few other upgrades over the 2011s.
I have a late 2012 I5 mini and I purchased aftermarket ram and installed it myself. Very easy. It has 2 slots that I stuck 8GB sticks into. My mini came with a 500GB HD that I thought about replacing with an internal ssd. Instead I have an external SSD running through the Thunderbolt port.
I personally think the late 2012 minis and iMacs are a sweet spot for affordability, power and ability to be current. I also have a late 2012 27” i7 iMac that I purchased new. It has also been rock solid with no problems. Have 24 gigs of ram and a 3 TB hybrid drive in it. Still amazed at how fast it can grind through editing HD video.
I have never run any anti-virus software. Never had a problem. Just careful about making sure I download software from reputable sites. I enable the firewall on the computers and my routers/modem to put up protection from prying eyes coming in from the internet. I have run multiple Macs since 1990 and have never had to contend with a virus or malware.

https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)