AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Microsoft word/excel/others - do you need a subscription?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 12/17/2019 22:06 (#7914462 - in reply to #7914392)
Subject: RE: Microsoft word/excel/others - do you need a subscription?

There are lots of ways:

Cheap 1 - If you don’t need Microsoft specifically you can use LibreOffice. You can also use Google Docs and Sheets or Apple Numbers and Pages. All of those would be free. LibreOffice could not be used on a mobile device. The others could not be used without cloud dependency that I’m aware of. Might be able to buy Pages and Numbers and get away from the cloud, I’m not sure but even if you could you would need and Apple laptop and it would not be free.

Cheap 2 - Buy whatever version of Office you want and install it. If an old version is good enough for you and you don’t care about the ethics of software you could probably do that somewhere between free and very cheap. But you may not have compatibility with the latest office files being sent to you depending on what you get

Expensive 1 - I believe you can still buy current stand Microsoft alone Microsoft Office. It would be maybe $200 or so for the home version and quite a bit more for the complete version. Complete version would add Access database and Publisher and so on. They are pushing the Office 365 subscription you are referencing so it is hard to even find the link to buy the actual desktop software.

Expensive 2 - Office 365. I thought it was more like $65 a year instead of the $100 you mentioned. I feel it’s useful. You get the entire office suite, you get to install it on your computer just like buying the stand alone program but you also get a lot of cloud storage and an account that lets you store all of your documents on the cloud and access them from your mobile device. You always have current software so you’re always compatible with everyone.

I think you can still use mobile office for free without Office 365 but if you ever want to use Access or Publisher you’re probably going to spend $400+ for the whole suite. By the time you start spending more than that with Office 365 your stand alone Office will be 4+ years old and you’ll be thinking about upgrading it anyway.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)