AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A comment/psa for those considering going from a PC to Apple
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Kochia
Posted 12/18/2019 03:13 (#7914629 - in reply to #7914558)
Subject: RE: A comment/psa for those considering going from a PC to Apple

MT-ND
So then I guess a rebuttal and a note: I used to do tech support on the side for a local school and other businesses, and it's not fair in another way which I will explain later

And all of that could have been prevented by common sense and maybe $20 a year.

On mac I can't count the hours I spent trying to figure out what high school, elementary school, and other people have done to their Mac. Biggest problem was "just take it to apple" there is very little online support for them.

I guess North Dakota doesn't have a modern college as Macs are rare in the NDUS system, but then again we mostly have physical classes, such as engineering, where programs are rapidly discontinuing support for Apple, Solidworks, iirc, is one. The NDUS system also offers limited support for apple as blackboard has not played well with apple. I can count the number of students I've seen who prefer Macs.

Is that not SOP for both? Don't install random crap? If you think that there's not a way to stop updates on a windows, you haven't dug very deep. This also ties into the common sense part, as people don't have much of it, so windows has to fight against it. Apple forces updates too as shown by last year a school called me at the end of the semester, every single Mac had decided to update during the last two days. Reason? Deferred updates. All it would say is something like "your Mac needs to restart in: (countdown). And what you're saying is Windows can do the important stuff that your apple can not, and you contradict yourself.

If letters getting wore off a keyboard are a sign of use my computer is the equivalent of shot by the end of the month. I buy a quality keyboard, although it is old by any tech standard, I can't wear off the keys downside, if it is one, is it can't be used on a Mac. Also there is nothing special about a mac, keyboard, it's just the same silicone dome as all the other cheap computers have. Also how do you treat your computers if "a year" is supposed to mean it's wore out and beat up? That is gigabyte's and your problem, because one: windows doesn't do that, it may not be compatible with the new version right away, but it doesn't delete it and two: apple renders all it's programs useless too when it does it's down version of Windows fall and spring major updates, you have to update Evey single version right afterwards or it will not let you use it at all, unlike windows.

Hate to break this to you but DOS existed way before that and MS/PC DOS was released in 1981, which if you want what you describe, you can install an optional feature and have that. Not exactly sure why you would want to but you can. And if you know everything and anything about computers, what does it matter if you learn another language, mostly C or some similar version?

Imo apple's os is single worst os and computer manufacturer due to its incompatibility and stupidity of its designs, not to mention how they nickel and dime you. Not in the app store? Here's a process your average person won't understand and therefore won't use it. Everyone wants to make a standard but forgot to invite us first? Here's FireWire and lighting. USB ports are so overrated, let's put ONE on a laptop and call it good. Oh you want to charge and listen to music with anything but our headphones? Here's an adapter that isn't exactly cheap, s you should buy our overrated, over priced earphones. Oh you need to plug a flash drive into your $2000 Mac? Well you better buy an adapter since we only have one port, which you also have to use for charging, and it's USB C, a relatively new standard. Oh you want to fix your $1500 laptop that you dropped? Better take it into an Apple store genius barâ„¢ otherwise any future or past warranty is void. Oh yeah it'll cost more to fix than to buy an new one, here's a new one thanks for the sale! You want to be an independent repair shop that repairs apple devices? Sucks to be you and guess what? If you try to buy the parts from a 3rd party, we're going to sick the United States of America's Customs and Border Patrol on your shipment. Yes that actually happened.

Window server in a hospital? I'd bet they weren't even close to up to date on any update and wasn't running any protection at all. And why should that be Microsoft's fault that the hospital didn't use their common sense and update it? So what if it's a hospital, they still have a responsibly of their own to take care of themselves. Also why windows server, is it because there isn't an alternative that would serve there needs or is close to actively patching and securing as windows? Also money is a thing you know, not everyone could afford a mediocre cheese grater.

Linux? Safe? Oh please, have you ever been on YouTube?

Now for my "it isn't fair" point: sample size. When you have literally billions of people running Windows, you attract attention, good and bad. And if you're part of the bad, you're not going to waste your time on a platform that has nobody compared to another, you're going to produce something for windows. I personally guarantee that if apple was in the same spot as Microsoft they would be doing the exact same thing: not keeping up, constantly patching and updating, and being criticized by people like you because of it. Apple and Linux(non server) doesn't have the virus and etc problems of Windows because it literally isn't worth people's time to make one for the systems because no one uses it compared to Windows.

And there's reason why apple doesn't have 75-95% of the market. Could it be their overpriced hardware? Could it be their somewhat clunky and locked down operating system? Could it be their last stupidity on what to allow to work with their systems? Could it be the lack of programs that run on their systems? Could it be from a human standpoint on their founder, jobs, and his greed, which is not limited to going from state to state getting on and up the organ transfer lists when he had cancer, or chasing Woz. Away? Could it be the way most people who own them act? Could it be that they didn't allow anyone else to manufacture or install their os on any hardware but their own? Could it be that they still don't allow people to do that? Could it be that Microsoft went to the right people, IBM, and launched themselves into the international spotlight? Could it be that apple, from the way it looks like from the outside, locks you into their system and their system only?

Until apple or Linux actually makes something that gets 80% of the market, I don't think it's fair saying that it wouldn't happen to them as I'd bet it would, as you make it sound like apple and Linux are bullet proof and windows and Microsoft are the vacuum of space.

Edit: also windows quit using a 40 year old dinosaur in 1998/199 with windows NT, a completely new system

Edited by Kochia 12/18/2019 03:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)