AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

TV antennae
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

YawLes
Posted 1/6/2020 22:15 (#7956862 - in reply to #7956588)
Subject: Combiner, amplifier

I have a similar situation, tower height, and desire to have multiple antennas.

A couple websites you may like.

Antennaweb.org
TVFool.com - original post had fools... got the s out

You can enter your address, the sites will tell you which TV stations you can get, which direction to aim your antenna at and how strong the signal is.

To connect multiple antennas, you may (depending on signal strength and antenna design) need first an amplifier mounted close to the antenna on top of the tower. There are models that are powered by electricity sent up the coax.

Next down the tower, you will want a combined - NOT A SPLITTER - and the key is the length of the coax down to the combiner MUST BE the exact same length.

Then inside the house, you can put in a splitter to spin-off signal to other TVs.

Use GOOD COAX, not bargain basement stuff.
Also, spend the money on GOOD CONNECTORS. Signal loss happens with cheap coax and poor connectors.

FOR NOW, everyone with an OTA (over-the-air) antenna but not getting all the same channels, take the time to RESCAN for channels. The FCC is moving many TV station's channels. Most of the lower channels below 13 are being REPACKED - moved to higher channels, opening up the lower frequency for cell phones.

INTERESTING TID BIT - I recently upgraded to DISH's Hopper (ver. 3). The installer told us if we used our OTA, we could plug the antenna into the Hopper, go into the settings and let it RESCAN the OTA channels. They will then show up on the DISH TV guide and also be recordable by the Hopper!

For reviews of OTA equipment, I subscribe to on YouTube is "Antenna Man - a young, full-time TV antenna installer in Pennsylvania. He seems to be up to date on OTA.
Here is one of his videos on the FCC REPACK - he's not a professional, highly polished speaker, but does get the info across.

https://youtu.be/xSrULK502MU

Edited by YawLes 1/8/2020 11:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)