AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Desktop and phone can' find server for Agtalk, laptop can
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

YawLes
Posted 3/10/2020 15:47 (#8094194 - in reply to #8089820)
Subject: DNS setting not getting onto the phone

What you're describing is a DNS issue (domain name service). It converts your web-browser's "NewAgTalk.com" into an IP address. In my case, NAT translates for my computer to 216.245.223.146 (you can discover this by getting a command prompt on your computer, then type in ping NewAgTalk.com

Here's where things get a little complicated. For my home network to get NewAgTalk, my router goes to Limestone Networks in Dallas, TX. Your home network may get NAT from the same "content delivery server" in Dallas, or you maybe served out of Chicago or Cincinnati. But when your phone goes off your home network and onto it's LTE, it's DNS service can point you to a NAT server that is closest to say Verizon or T-Mobile.

On your router, find the DNS section. A typical setting is 'get from ISP provider.' which fills in the values automatically. You can play around with some other settings on the router - you can always turn back on the default 'get from ISP' - and try Google's DNS service by entering 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 - others you can try include:

OpenDNS = 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220
Cloudflare = 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1
Norton = 199.85.126.10
DNS Watch = 84.200.69.80

Many routers have up to 3 different DNS servers. You are permitted to enter an IP address from more than one of these to assure great service. Many times slow web-browsing can be traced back to slow DNS servers.

Best wishes - let us know what worked.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)