AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Diesel fuel tanks and transporting them...........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Oliver
Posted 1/27/2007 19:40 (#95378 - in reply to #95360)
Subject: RE: Diesel fuel tanks and transporting them...........

Shaftsbury, Vermont (SW VT)
Jake, the limiting amount is specified as the weight of the fuel. It's no more than 1000 lbs., perhaps less. At a little more than 7 lbs a gallon, the math doesn't work out for me, because I remember being told 110 gallons was the limit. That's two drums. With the 10% allowed for expansion, that would explain the 125 gallon figure you used. Anyway, we have always used the 110 gallon figure as our guide. Remember, it's the tank capacity, not the actual quantity in it that will make or break the violation. More than the allowed gallonage, and you need CDL w/hazmat and tank endorsements, placards on the vehicle, and a whole host of other things.
As far as 500 gallons on a single axle trailer, that might not be over the axle/tire limit, but prudence would suggest a tandem setup. I remember in the Army, having a 5 ton with two 600 gallon pods with diesel in the truck, and towing a 1-1/2 ton trailer with a 600 gallon pod of mogas. After a number of rollovers systemwide, the head shed decided that the trailer was loaded beyond it's stability limits. Oliver Durand

Edited by Oliver 1/27/2007 19:45
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)