AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Machinery...my car....changing serpentine belt problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 1/28/2007 16:29 (#95688)
Subject: Machinery...my car....changing serpentine belt problem

Chebanse, IL.....

Well, you say, what can be so hard about changing serpentine belt? They've made them so much easier to change than say, like early days of changing an IH M belt or something like that. But, I'll ask, does anyone have experience with THIS problem?

I've never seen anything like this. Not sure why I didn't notice it before. But, I have a '98 Buick LeSabre and it's possibly the best driving vehicle I've ever owned. Actually, wife drives it daily...me just occasionally. I changed oil in it last week (Fram filter) and noticed some cracks in serpentine belt. If you're unfamiliar, this is a cross-wise V6 FWD car. So, I went to Farm & Fleet & got a new belt. Came home & stared at old one a minute & thought it must be like one of those "Chinese chain/horshoe" puzzles that all grain elevators have laying on the counter. I looked & thought there must be some way to wind that belt off (or on) that I'm not seeing. I pulled tensioner loose w/1/2" breaker bar like always...but sure enough....GM decided they were going to fasten the front (= side) of the engine to the RH shock tower by running a large casting thru the belt. I just couldn't believe it. I called Farm & Fleet & asked them how much & how soon to install belt. They asked "what kind of car". I told them & they said "no thanks...we don't do that model".

It looks to me like you have to unbolt this motor mount casting from the shock tower & hope to squeeze belt thru...perhaps while supporting engine? Anyone ever done this before? Does anyone know the name/address of the engineer that designed this? Is he/she still alive? What in the world would someone do that might've broken a belt along an interstate hiway or something? You'd probably be SOL for a while just because of a stupid little belt.

You can see the castings running thru the belt. Looks like it attaches to engine in 3 places.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)