AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Machinery...my car....changing serpentine belt problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

sdPete
Posted 1/28/2007 17:17 (#95707 - in reply to #95688)
Subject: RE: Machinery...my car....changing serpentine belt problem

Beresford SD
Be thankful you are not out on the road with a failed belt. Get out your cherry picker, pull up on the motor enough to take tension off the mount, remove bolts, change belt. Sad to say there are getting to be too many cases of such antics under the hood lately. At least your 1/2" breaker bar worked, some have so little clearance a custom tool is required to move the tensioner. Be sure to spin the idlers, alternator, water pump, check for worn bearings while the belt is off.

Do not, repeat DO NOT run so long the belt fails and leads to an engine overheat. Or fail to notice other cooling system problems which lead to an engine overheat. Those really get messy and cost big $$, intake gaskets, head gaskets, coolant passages in the timing cover lose their seal. Then you would be tickled to have to fiddle with a motor mount to change the belt.

Friend of mine at Sioux Falls Ford noted that certain service procedures on recently released diesel pickups involve removal of cab, company is outfitting dealers with fixtures.....

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)