AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Versitile 276 cant get in second.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 1/28/2007 22:39 (#95890 - in reply to #95767)
Subject: RE: Versitile 276 cant get in second.

Open your side doors, behind the cab. You should be able to see the top of trans. On the top the should be a 2" barrel bung screw in plastic plug. Turn it out, with the tractor on the level with no pressure on anything. Take a long handle screw driver you should be able to shift trans. into each detent( Three of them). Look at your shifting handle in cab, to see which way you need to shift detent.

The shifting cable goes thru the side of trans. and hooks with a ball fitting on the shift plate. That is where the problem is most likely. The cable get on a bind and breaks. They had a update for the 276 II that you replaced the shift plate and top cover of trans. and bring shift cable on top of trans.( like the 9030's have). You also had to trim a little of the frame out with a torch to make the update fit. In the early 90's the kit cost under $300.

The trans. is easy to remove, unbolt drivelines, take off hyd. lines. There is a eye bolt in top of trans., take a chain hoist thru little side door. and lower it to the floor. I'm think there is three bolts hold trans. in place( they are on the top side of trans.).

That shift cable was a real problem in the 276 II that I had, I put over three in it in less than 2,800 hrs. After the update never had a problem. We traded it off at 5,000 hrs. for a 9030E.

While your under the tractor check your engine end axle craddle for cracks in it, and also axle tubes for cracks in welds.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)