AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Would a Side Dump Trailer work to haul cattle manure?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 1/29/2007 15:43 (#96097 - in reply to #96072)
Subject: RE: Would a Side Dump Trailer work to haul cattle manure?

I'm not an expert on end dumps, but I'll pass on what I have learned and what I have been told.

You need to make sure you pick a level spot to dump. First and foremost. If it's not level then make sure you're either pointed up hill or down hill and not across it.

Make sure you keep your tractor lined up with the trailer. If everything is flat you can cheat on that, but if it's not it will push a trailer right over.

I'd stay away from a real long trailer. If you have the ability to load over the top get a taller shorter trailer.

Personally I prefer what they call a 1/4 frame. These are the ones where an arm from the front of the trailer is braced to the front of the tandem and it holds all 8 tires pretty well flat on the ground as it dumps vs a frameless that ends up on it's rear axle while it's dumping. I'm told the 1/4 frame is the best of both worlds. It is lighter than a frame type and normally won't take the truck with it if it goes over like a frame type does. The 1/4 frame will also stack better vs a frameless. The frameless will be close to dragging the ground when it's in the air and as you drive out it will string the load out almost as long as the trailer is. A frame type or 1/4 frame trailer will have the rear edge of the bed almost as high when you are dumping as it is when the bed is down. With our 26' (which is all you need for dirt to get 80M gross on) once it dumps I only have to pull up a few inches and the dirt is all out.

A good liner and some common sense should go a long ways. I would not have believed how much difference a good liner will make. We haul a lot of subsoil off job sites that has all sorts of nicknames. To say it's stick is an understatement. It absolutely will not hang up on the plastic. We've also hauled everything from manure that is so sloppy it runs all over the ground when you dump it to manure that is all light fluffy straw. You might not think about it, but the manure that was all light fluffy straw actually took more to make it slide down because it was too light and there was no weight behind it.

Don't know what the bridge laws are in your neck of the woods. We're lucky that in Kansas there are no bridge requirements for trailers hauling road building or construction supplies. I'd say if you are hauling wet manure out of a feed yard you could probably get close to 80 M gross with about a 32' trailer, especially if you put an 8 or 12" board on top of the steel. With our 26' we can gross 70 to 71M unless we're loading it with a big enough machine that we can squash it down some if it's a little dry. If it were all wet we'd be in the upper 70's. We do have an 8" board on top of our Clement.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)