AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Machinery...my car....changing serpentine belt problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 1/29/2007 20:22 (#96184 - in reply to #95784)
Subject: RE: How to help with belt problem.....all fixed now!! This site is GREAT!!!!

Chebanse, IL.....

First-thanks to all that responded here & most thanks to 2255r. I owe you one, friend! 

Thanks to 2255r's complete instructions, the belt job on the LeSabre was completed this a.m. within a couple of hrs. This included the time to run to auto supply store & get a new tension idler pullery. Bearings in the old one were getting a little wobbly. New one was only $20, so it was well justified.

Just as 2255r said, we had to remove that long bolt with the bushing on it to enable belt to go onto pulleys. It's just really hard to believe that today's engineers couldn't have figured out something easier. You just know that was a "left hand vs right hand" job. I really do feel bad for anyone w/a '98 LeSabre that breaks a belt anywhere but sitting inside the shop. They're just plain screwed. But, once you remove that RF wheel, the splash panel, the bolt & bushing....then it's not bad. I'm sure a good mechanic could do it along Interstate 80....but he'd better have done it once before, at least. Someone else suggested a hoist to support engine, but that didn't seem necessary on our job anyway.

Thanks again!!

Bolt/bushing were removed from this casting & engine block. Electrical connector was removed also. That's the crank pulley you see to the left.

This is the long reverse torq-head bolt 2255r mentioned

Skeez snakes on new belt. I couldn't find belt diagram, so I hand-drew picture before removing old belt.

Completed job...runs good! New style belt shouldn't crack laterally.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)