AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drone Mapping
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

robyroad
Posted 1/14/2023 22:33 (#10040466 - in reply to #10039924)
Subject: RE: Drone Mapping

DroneDeploy lists the Air 2S as compatible but doesn't say anything about the 2, so I don't know how good the software options would be. If you can figure out a software workflow, I think 2500 acres every other week would be a tall order for that model, it would probably be a full time job to get it done and processed. Maybe someone here has done it though. Proximity of the acres and travel time would be a major factor as well. 2500 acres contiguous would be much more doable than 2500 acres divided in 80 acre farms over 5 counties. Also, what kind of imagery are they wanting? Just aerial photo-based maps or some kind of vegetative index? If it's the second, you usually need either a camera conversion or something like a separate NDVI camera mounted on the drone. I'm pretty sure the Air 2 couldn't carry a separate camera and I don't know if anyone converts the onboard cameras on that model. Plus, once you convert, it's dedicated to that type of imagery.
My suggestions would be:
1. Get a used Phantom 4 or even a 3. Good flight time, stable in winds, lots of software support for planning and processing. A used P3P could probably be had for under $500 with several batteries, a P4P would put you closer to $1k. A 1st gen Mavic Pro would be similar in price and compatibility to a P3P and would have similar software support. Not the best camera but plenty good in my opinion for mapping. I typically use an old P3P for mapping, just to keep wear and tear off of my newer drones., If I need better imagery, for example a 3-d model, I use my P4P. Despite advances in Drone tech, the P4P is still one of the best mapping cameras (mechanical shutter being a major part of that) I think the only other model available with a mechanical shutter is the Mavic 3 series.
2.Spend $2k and get a Mavic 3 new, which would be a really good mapping drone, or spend about double that and get a Mavic 3 Enterprise, which would be even better.
3.For a whole let less time and work (and probably cheaper to boot), get a subscription to Climate Fieldview, which gives you typically weekly or every-other-week satellite imagery with a pseudo NDVI type of imagery. If you buy enough seed from a Bayer brand, you can get it free. I believe Pioneer offers a similar service as well.

In terms of software, I like the DroneDeploy app for planning and flying (which is free for planning and flying, but a subscription for processing), but I use MapsMadeEasy (which is pay as you go) for processing and stitching. However, if you are covering 2500 acres twice a month, a DroneDeploy subscription would probably be cheaper. If you want top of the line processing, I think Pix4D is still the best, but is much more expensive. WebODM is free for processing but very slow in my experience. I don't think I could process 2500 acres in two weeks time with it, not even counting the actual time required to fly it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)