AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Burns-we'll keep you answering questions!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/17/2023 08:59 (#10232432 - in reply to #10232338)
Subject: giving up things

Pittsburg, Kansas

I thought the same thing. And I suppose on occasion I did. But my wife and I started feeling so much better and me with less pain and meds very soon it just became a way of life. I don't feel like I miss anything anymore.

I have to warn you though. If adopting this lifestyle you likely will become a label reader when in the grocery store. You start looking for all the ingredients you no longer want to put in your mouth.

We have a favorite eating joint in Joplin, Mo. called Big R's. They make wonderful pies. I would treat myself (after adopting this diet) once a year to a piece of some version of chocolate cream pie (1/5th of a pie and about 4" tall - used to have a piece somewhat regularly). I would eat half and take the other half home for later. This 4th year into this low carb lifestyle when we went there for our birthdays (wife and I are two weeks apart) I didn't even end up getting a piece of pie. I could remember how it tasted great, but I just no longer had the desire for it like I once did. My taste buds and desires had changed.

Can't say that you will be the same, but my wife and I enjoy what we eat (and we eat a lot in the two meals a day we eat) and don't feel like it is any big sacrifice not eating some of the stuff we used to. I like the way I move around at a hundred pounds lighter and the way my body feels without all the aches and pains and I like not taking insulin and having resulting blood sugar spikes high and lows and I like not taking the multiple prescription medicines I took to try and offset what I ate. I look at it as all positive.

Butter Bob has a good message on "giving up things" in his Butter Makes Your Pants Fall Off presentation which I linked to earlier (check out a few of the over 5,000 comments over the 8 years this video has been available). I was not as severe over weight as him but my diabetes much worse, and I can totally relate to what he says.

Before I simply didn't know and not sure I would have been ready to make the change if I did know. Now I know. I don't want to go back to the way I was. Knowledge applied is power.

Edited by John Burns 5/17/2023 09:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)