AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

amazing results after 1 week almost zero carb and sugar
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/22/2023 09:55 (#10238908 - in reply to #10238689)
Subject: RE: Hidden salt

Pittsburg, Kansas

That is a very good point.

A person might have been thinking they were on a "low salt" diet by not hardly ever using the salt shaker much. But in reality they could have been getting loads of salt in the boxed food and drinks they were consuming. Then if they go "low carb" and eat mostly whole foods with no change in their salt shaker habits, they may have actually went to a REAL low salt diet. In which case they need to up their salt shaker use just to get back up to the level they were when they considered themselves on a low salt diet. 

There is a chart in a study which I don't have right off hand to link to, that shows all cause mortality based on salt consumption. Don't remember how they did the study, but it was a big long term one. What the chart showed was the length of life was considerably shorter for people that got the smallest amount of salt, then life extended to a sweet spot, but then as the salt intake increased (to a considerable amount way over recomended) the life expectancy slowly went down. So it showed that too much salt could be detrimental, but the shortened life rose so slowly that the heaviest salt users lived longer than the ones that had too little salt. In other words, the penalty for too much (and quite a lot too much) was modest whereas the chart rose rapidly as decreased lifespan where too little salt was eaten. Better to err on the too much side than too little side.

Salt to taste is what most of the doctors I follow say. If it taste too salty, don't put more on it. If salt helps the taste, salt it. That is why we have salt taste sensors in our mouth. I need to find that chart.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)