AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

family health
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

farm160
Posted 6/3/2023 12:52 (#10255333 - in reply to #10253614)
Subject: RE: family health

NE Nebraska
I'd say it would be a matter of spending time with the person, to get them to open up about their life and the things they enjoy doing, their purpose in life, how actions lead to end results, how people sometimes make cruel comments (and that's not a reflection on them, but on the person saying mean things), that life is hard, etc. Weight and health habits reflect something deeper going on. They may be running to food out of frustration or boredom or pure lack of knowledge. The more you open up to them and they open up to you, you can share bits of health info or healthy activities together. Helping them learn what are healthy foods, good activities, incorporating bits of exercise into daily routines, etc. Both telling and showing them. BUT, if they are learning bad habits at home (parents buying junk food or lots of TV watching) you'll need to address that as well, either with the person, or the parent. If you don't feel comfortable leading the conversations, then perhaps give them options of someone else to lead them. Get them involved in a group to boost their interests and esteem and activity.
My history involves feeling chubby as a child (I wasn't chubby, just larger than my skinny sis), anorexic at 18, binge eating in college, Weight Watchers, NutriSystem, slender to average most of my adult life and now as an older female I'm healthy and active, running and lifting weights but a healthy balance in life. Body dysmorphia is real. During my earlier years I wish people would have left the slender and heavy and overweight type comments out, stopped the joking about weight and size, and just talked about healthy lifestyle habits and life in general. Moderation in everything. When younger, my weight and stress reflected challenges in myself as to who I was, what I wanted to do in life, needing hope that life would turn out ok, wanting to feel I was good at something. When our daughter was college age I saw the yo yo she was going through. During one time frame she lost a lot of weight and when she came home on break she asked me why I didn't notice or comment. I told her I had noticed, but that her weight wasn't my primary focus. That I wanted her to be happy and healthy and I wasn't going to comment on skinny vs. heavy because I would love her regardless but mostly I wanted her to love herself and be doing the things that brought her happiness. That ended the conversation and ultimately her yo-yo and all is well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)